What is a coaching discovery call, exactly?
Updated: May 5
In the coaching world, we talk about chemistry conversations or discovery calls as if everyone knows what that means. This week, I featured as one of several guests in a podcast and as a result of listening to that podcast, a friend of mine asked me what is a discovery call exactly?
So without further ado, I thought I’d clarify here what a discovery call with me entails!
It’s a free, 30 minute video call (although occasionally it might be a telephone call) where you, the potential client can talk to me, the potential coach about any questions you have about me, about coaching, and about coaching with me through one of my packages. Also important to note that there is no obligation to purchase one of my packages.
It is loosely structured around these questions:
· Who are we? – we share a little bit about each other, and what has prompted you to book the discovery call. I will let you know that I mainly work with women who feel isolated or marginalised and want to meet their leadership potential, so that they can be authentic and energised in all parts of life.
· What is life like for you right now? – you share what isn’t going so well for you and what has prompted you to book a discovery call with me. This might be about work, studies, volunteering, home life, friends, hobbies, anything! It is likely to be a few things (either a few things within one of those parts of your life, or it could be across quite a few of them). That’s usually when we feel a bit stuck and start thinking about needing some ‘outside’ help to make sense of what’s going on for you.
· What would you like your life to be like? – This might be about sharing a very broad vision or sense of what you want to be different. It might be a very specific goal but you don’t quite know how to get there on your own. It might even be more vague than either of those things and actually coaching could help to figure that vague thing out. We might think about these hopes/dreams/goals in the short, medium or long term. That depends on you and where you’re at with your thinking right now.
· What do you know about coaching and mentoring? - This is where we talk about your understanding of coaching and any previous experience you may (or may not) have had. We clarify any questions and I explain a little bit more about who I usually work with and why. I also explain the main differences between coaching, mentoring, counselling and consulting.
· How can I help you? – In this part of the call, we talk about the kinds of packages I offer and whether any of those would be a good fit for you right now. I might also sign post you to other resources to help you move forward a little bit. And the main bit of all of this, is whether we think we’re a good fit for each other, right now.
The main goal of coaching is to move forwards, so even in a discovery call, my goal is to help you have a bit more insight than when you booked the discovery call. So even if your next big step isn’t with me, at least you’ve got something to work with.
PS – If you’d like to book a discovery call with me, go to my website to book a convenient time. You might want to have a chat about my upcoming group programme, You in Focus – bookings for that close on 21st April and I have limited availability between now and then, so do get your free, 30min call booked in straight away!